Sakis Rouvas the greek pop star !
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  

Please provide translations when you post in other languages

Go down 
+3
*Paraskévie*
Moldienut
Malin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Malin

Malin

Total Posts : 3058
Female
Capricorn Dragon

Please provide translations when you post in other languages Empty
PostSubject: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime11st April 2007, 3:13 am

This is a plea to all of you who include bits and pieces in other languages (most often Greek) when you post. Please provide a translation into English so that others don't have to ask for it.

Of course, if the whole purpose of posting something in another language (such as for instance Greek news about Sakis) is to ask people what it means, then you naturally don't have to provide a translation. Wink

Please keep this in mind. Think of your fellow members that don't speak these languages!

Thanks in advance!

/Malin (Forum Moderator)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/malintwin
Moldienut
Angel's helper of Sakis' Forum
Moldienut

Total Posts : 19567
Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime11st April 2007, 6:14 am

Mal, that is a good idea what you did just there. In my Eurovision forum, I did that rule. I only speak English so it's essential for me to have a translation to every foreign language post. I PMed Chief about it and the one Della thought about foreign language sub boards for non English speakers. Mal, I think both you and Della have very good points to bring up to Chief. Any good ideas? I usually tell Chief about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moldienut
*Paraskévie*
Angel Of Sakis' Forum
Angel Of Sakis' Forum
*Paraskévie*

Total Posts : 6286
Female
Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime11st April 2007, 12:29 pm

yes, i think that it's a good idea, but, how to do that ?
Back to top Go down
https://sakis-rouvas.forumotion.com
Malin

Malin

Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime11st April 2007, 12:35 pm

*Paraskévie* wrote:
yes, i think that it's a good idea, but, how to do that ?

What I mean is that anyone who quotes something in another language (Greek, Spanish, or any language other than English) should explain what it means. The one who posts usually knows what it means, but a majority of the people who will read it won't understand it. So please, if you write something that's not in English in your posts, provide a translation at once. People should not have to ask for it!
Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Total Posts : 16618
Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime11st April 2007, 10:37 pm

I 4 one am among these ppl.
Back to top Go down
rosalba

rosalba

Total Posts : 1028
Female
Aries Rat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime12nd April 2007, 12:33 pm

Yes you're totally right and I'm really sorry if sometimes, actually often, I use a few words in Greek and sometimes in Italian too. That's not fair, it's kind of disrespectful for those who don't speak those languages,therefore I'll try to pay more attention when I use other languages and not English. Once again sorry!
Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime12nd April 2007, 1:49 pm

It's ok Rosie.
Back to top Go down
Moldienut
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime12nd April 2007, 1:56 pm

Mal, I have a question to ask, what about if those people who write the posts in foreign languages can't even speak English, what would happen to them? I think Chief should do a section with several sub boards for people who cannot speak English, like Della said in another post.
Back to top Go down
Moldienut
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime12nd April 2007, 1:58 pm

rosalba wrote:
Yes you're totally right and I'm really sorry if sometimes, actually often, I use a few words in Greek and sometimes in Italian too. That's not fair, it's kind of disrespectful for those who don't speak those languages,therefore I'll try to pay more attention when I use other languages and not English. Once again sorry!

You do have a point there Rosi, I think Chief should do a section especially for those people.
Back to top Go down
emilia

emilia

Total Posts : 7063
Female
Taurus Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime12nd April 2007, 2:00 pm

I'm sorry, I just often write what comes to my mind and got so excited that I forget to post translations, but I try to remember in the future Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/penemi
rosalba

rosalba

Total Posts : 1028
Female
Aries Rat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime13rd April 2007, 9:17 am

Moldienut wrote:
rosalba wrote:

You do have a point there Rosi, I think Chief should do a section especially for those people.

Good thinking mo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malin

Malin

Female
Capricorn Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 3:37 pm

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but I really feel I need to say that recently, there has been quite a lot of Greek on the forum. Please remember that this is an international forum. Try to avoid writing anything in Greek, out of respect for the members who don't understand. If it is absolutely necessary to write something in Greek, it's very important that you provide a translation right away. Even if it is just a short phrase! Members shouldn't have to ask for it.
Back to top Go down
Moldienut
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 3:47 pm

I have seen quite a few Greek posts around recently Mal, particularly the Twins and Lena when they joke around. Some of them I do understand (like some singular words) but when they are written in complex sentences I have hard trouble understanding. In the Despina Vandi forum there are so many Greek posts that I am not very active in there. I even get Greek language PMs there even though I do not understand it at all. Plus I even get replies in Greek that 99.9% of the time I do not understand a word of it. Only one section in that forum is segregated between Greek and English and that is the Despina News and Discussion sections. All the rest mass confusion with both Greek and English posts mangled together and I have very hard understanding there because I do not know what they are saying.
Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 4:22 pm

It's really frustrating 2 not know what they're talking about especially when it's in a language that almost all of us here have no knowledge about. I hope I'm not being 2 harsh here about it.
Back to top Go down
lunaLENA

lunaLENA

Total Posts : 2990
Female
Cancer Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 4:26 pm

i got your point here guys don't worry! nothing is done on purpose though, most of the times is because of the excitement that greek words slip out of our mouth. plus when an expression in a native language is translated into another, most of the times loses its actual meaning and especially when it's slang or used for jokes...nevertheless, from now on when i use sth in greek i'll translate!
Back to top Go down
wpghi5
Moderator-Sakis' Team

Male
Aries Dog

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 4:29 pm

Please do that Lena mou. We do luv u and the twins here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Moldienut
Moldienut

Female
Virgo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime116th February 2008, 4:30 pm

Lena wrote:
i got your point here guys don't worry! nothing is done on purpose though, most of the times is because of the excitement that greek words slip out of our mouth. plus when an expression in a native language is translated into another, most of the times loses its actual meaning and especially when it's slang or used for jokes...nevertheless, from now on when i use sth in greek i'll translate!

Very true Lena, I agree there. Sometimes when you speak a native language the meaning is either lost or changed compared to speaking another, particularly in my country that some of their words differ from that of American English and some words used can be rude in America but not my country or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please provide translations when you post in other languages   Please provide translations when you post in other languages Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Please provide translations when you post in other languages
Page 1 of 1